Sunday, August 01, 2010

Color Me Marcus, pt. 3

At some point a ways back I had made decisions to teach myself origami and to decorate my room with it. It seemed like a cool and different sort of thing to do, dig? I'm not up to trying anything so fancy as a dragon or an Oliphaunt or a peacock, mind you. I just did a few simple designs. Nor was I committed enough to attempt folding a thousand cranes, even if it would get me a free wish. But that was enough to give me an idea... After a brief stop at the locally-owned hardware store I picked up a few nails and some fishing line. I put the nails into the walls near ceiling height and strung the line across, and planned to hang some cranes using paper clips (for ease of use). I quickly realized, however, that the fishing line is damn near invisible, making it possible to make the cranes appear as if they're hanging from nothing at all (and also terribly tedious to work with as you can hardly see what you're doing). I abandoned my paper clip plan and instead suspended the cranes with more of the fishing line. What else was I going to do with the rest of that spool, anyway? I took a couple pictures that hardly do it justice; the end effect is that I AM MAGICAL. It's pretty sweet. Also, not caring as of yet to go out and buy origami paper, I've been making cranes out of interesting and colorful pictures I find in magazines (my personal favorite so far being one about the Japanese Festival at the Missouri Botanical Garden) and in one case a salvaged piece of wrapping paper. Takin' the sentimentality to new heights!







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marcus, this is wonderful. I love the floating winged creatures and your explanation of the process.

Hope they are not too difficult to keep well-fed!

~Heather Rose

Marcus said...

:-D Glad you like.