Thursday, June 03, 2010

Sweet Inspiration, Times Two

Caught wind of a couple things lately that take my general feeling of being a fairly physically capable guy and just shake it to pieces.

First, I've been reading an account of the Pedouin family's trek on a quint tandem. Five people. One bike. 7,000 miles, from Kentucky to Alaska (by way of Florida). And as far as I can tell the trip is for no reason other than just to do it. In and of itself this feat would be impressive enough, riding clear across the country and all, crashing with folks where they can and sleeping outside where they can't. But then they have two extra degrees of difficulty that are sure to wow the judges. Of this family of five, three of them are young girls, at the outset aged 6, 4 and 2. I'm sure most of the energy for this comes from the parents, but I still have to admire the tenacity for sticking it through. If that wasn't enough, neither of these parents are what I would call actual cyclists. About all they had going for them was that they knew how to ride a bicycle, but nothing approaching serious strength or endurance or distance. They gave themselves just three months time to warm up, and the mileage they do is quite paltry, frankly (I could crush them on my worst day). They seem to be getting it done, though, and good for them.


Second, I just caught this trailer for a documentary called The Ataxian. It's the story of this guy named Kyle Bryant riding in the Race Across America, a one week 3,000 mile trip from coast to coast (on quite a sweet looking recumbent trike... I never cared much for them, but his kinda makes me want one). Pretty intense, right? It takes me a YEAR to do three grand. The guy this documentary is about has a degenerative nerve disease called Friedreich's ataxia with symptoms that will make things much harder for him (and unfortunately, is quite possibly going to kill him). Talk about heart. Dude's got it out the wazoo.

Speaking of Heart, I've been on a kick lately thanks to some recent conversation. Who knew classic rock still tastes so good? Considering today's subject matter, and Kyle's story in particular, this one seems terribly appropriate.

Heart - Magic Man

No comments: