Friday, November 26, 2010

Oh snap! Cold snap.

Being dependent on spending time outside for the purpose of both fun and transportation, I'm not such a huge fan of the fall and winter. Due to the fact that I've lived car-free for so many years, and that I do not have the finances necessary to alternate hemispheres every few months, I have now grown accustomed to their existence and have ceased calling for their destruction. Cold happens. Fine. (For me this is an example of my growth as a human being; I used to view cold as a personal and grievous affront. I found it insulting on a deeply intimate level.)

But that does not mean I appreciate Mother Nature giving me the run around, temperature-wise. I will admit that part of me enjoyed the rash of unseasonably warm November days we've experienced, but in the back of my mind I feared it would make things harder for me in the long run. My fear was that I would get cold, like all of a sudden, and I wouldn't be ready. Spread the chilling out graaadully over a few weeks, and I don't so much care. I got tights and gloves and arm gloves (aka arm warmers) and leg warmers and a balaclava. I got gear out the wazoo. So bring it, cold weather, and we'll see who defeats who. But no. Mother Nature had to get all tricksy, like, "Now it's 70°! Isn't it glorious! Hooray!!" only to turn around and say, "Now it's practically freezing, brrrr," and that was like over the course of ONE DAY mind you, which is hardly enough time to get acclimated. This was then followed by, "Hey, how 'bout some SNOW? Snow, snow, snow, all over everything. That's fun, right?" Not to mention between the cold and the snow it rained for forty days and forty nights, and that shouldn't even be POSSIBLE because this has all happened during the course of one month.

All of this has been leading up to me wanting to tell you that I have a sore throat. I am none too pleased about it. I had about eleven cups of tea while I was at work today, and I was only there for four hours. There is a distinct possibility of a regression in the tenuous peace that exists between myself and winter and I may get really, really cranky when it gets cold. I may even go into hibernation. Those bears might be onto something.

For the record there is a time when it is and when it is not to use the term "Oh snap!" I have [re]created a flowchart for you in the event that you become confused and wish to avoid an awkward situation. Like the one I'm in now. Looks like I blew it.



Also, here's a song about bears. There's an unwritten post somewhere about this song, and some other songs this guy sings, and some other bands who may have played with him. Perhaps I'll come back around to that sometime.

Jonny Corndawg - The Life of a Bear

No comments: