Thursday, December 02, 2010

"Cookin' with 'lectric" just doesn't have the same ring to it

I sure do miss having my good ol' gas stove sometimes - cooking on an electric burner just makes me feel silly - but that doesn't mean the end of adventures in cooking. Tonight I made up a pot of something sorta tasty and possibly worth writing down, if for no other reason then at least for posterity's sake so I can make it again in the future. Considering how little I looked at the recipe* that was my original inspiration and the almost complete lack of measuring done throughout the process, I figure it's smart to make a reference. I'm sure it could use some tweaking, but that'd be easier if I know what I'm tweaking it from. This evening's adventure is dedicated to P Smoth.

Ingredients:
~oil
~one onion, chopped
~garlic powder
~thyme
~cumin
~cajun seasoning
~cayenne pepper
~salt
~water
~one cup each of black beans & great northern beans**
~a whole bunch of red potatos, peeled and diced***
~stew-friendly vegetables, which in this case was a bag of french cut green beans discovered in the freezer
~sausage, sliced
~around a cup brown rice

Directions:
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent (about two minutes). Add vegetables, garlic powder, thyme and cumin; cook they start to get tender (today, that meant two to three minutes after they'd thawed). Add the beans, cajun seasoning and cayenne pepper, along with enough water to cover everything; bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer for forty minutes. (Note that if you started cooking only when you felt the pangs of hunger, you effed up.) Check back occasionally to make sure the beans are still covered. (Or forget about this entirely because you wandered off to do other things while you try to forget about the fact that you're hungry now and you don't feel like waiting for forty freakin' minutes; hope for the best upon your return to the kitchen.) Add potatoes, rice and sausage, and more water if necessary; continue to simmer for a while longer until the rice is done, at least twenty to thirty minutes. (If need be, curse your own name at the foolishness of how you failed to plan the amount of time this would take; hope that you won't wither away to nothing before your meal is done.)

*The webternets lives in my room. The cooking obviously must be done in the kitchen. For some reason picking up my laptop and carrying it into another room so I could see what I should be doing just seemed like more than I could be bothered with, as was the idea of scribbling down the recipe on a piece of paper. After walking back and forth a few times I quickly grew bored with my cross-apartment commute. I had the important details in my head by that point (that mostly being how long the beans needed to cook), but beyond that I didn't put in much effort. This would be the main reason why I didn't measure any of the seasonings I was putting in. I like to call this "cooking by the seat of my pants".

**One cup each seemed like a good idea at the time. I remember thinking "what a nice, round number!" It didn't seem like all that much when I started them soaking. Dried beans are very small and light, you see. After I drained them, though... whew, that's a lotta beans. Felt like I'd used a whole sack of 'em. I began to wonder if I'd gotten myself in over my head... I also got a song stuck in my head, thinking about sacks of beans.

***On a recent grocery trip I bought ten pounds of potatoes. Ten pounds is kind of a lot for one person to go through, but my thought was maybe I'd finally be able to cook a large enough batch of something that I'd have some leftovers after I finish dinner. For ages I'll try out some new thing, and it'll be super tasty. I'll be all, "Woah! This is good! And I made so much that I'll have some to eat tomorrow!" Then I'll proceed to demolish the entire thing. It's so good that I can't stop myself eating until it's gone. I gradually started increasing the amount of what I made. I could take a large plate and fill it to overflowing, and still I'd only taken half of it. "Surely this will be enough now!" I thought to myself. By the time I finished that plate I'd be stuffed... and yet somehow I would go back for the rest and finish it again. It was ridiculous. Buying ten pounds of potatoes is my attempt to cook such huge amounts that eating it all in one night is thoroughly impossible. I have to use a lot of them at once, otherwise they'll go bad, you dig? I think it's finally working. Anyway, that's not at all what this note was meant to be about. Because I had so many beans I felt like I had to add a lot of something else. Totally lost count of how many potatoes I put in there trying to balance things out. I'm guessing about two cups worth.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Apache Rose Peacock

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another quality installment of Cooking with Cooley - splendid!

Marcus said...

Ha! I'm happy I manage to muddle my way through.