Monday, December 20, 2010

New Music Monday: It's the real hip-hop

I've been drifting away from hip-hop of late as I've been exploring the many derivatives of rock for the last few months. There's a lot out there in the world of classic, indie and funk rock that I've yet to experience (which, honestly, is more than enough to rate a new music post in their own right, and in all fairness I should be writing first instead of posting this, and I feel bad for neglecting it now that something new and shiny's come along... I promise I'll give you some love and attention soon, rock... please don't be mad).

First up is the little track that sparked this whole thing, and fits true to life. It was as I walked through and caught the sound of this song on KDHX that made me think I ought to have a listen to what's being broadcast over the airwaves.
1982 - The Radio

Next is something you may have heard, or maybe not. Anyone with any exposure to hip-hop knows what Nas sounds like, and anyone with any exposure to anything knows who the Marleys are. But did you know Nas and Damian put out an album together? I was unaware. Hate me if you want.
Nas & Damian Marley - As We Enter

Hip-hop for Beatles fans, what what! Eleanor Rigby is my jam, lovin' that they sampled it, and the use of strings on urban songs? Fugedaboutit.
Evidence - Let the Beat Flip.

And now because we've established that dancing is awesome, a little something to get the blood flowing. B-boys and b-girls, stand up. Diggin' the strings on this as well, and the oldie soul sample is just killer.
JR & PH7 - Freedom [feat. Bambu, Rasco & Trek Life]

The subtitle of today's entry is, as many of them are, a quote from a song. This particular one is by Mobb Deep, only I didn't know that when I wrote it down cause I don't didn't listen to him. Nearly had an aneurysm trying to sort out where it came from. You guys, BLOGGING IS DANGEROUS, holy geez. Having obsessions is hard.



Dedicated with love to my B*tch of All Trades. And on our next episode: the most frightening post of all time.

No comments: