Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Get up and dance to the music

You should all be aware of the fact that I like dancing. Seriously, you should. If this is a surprise to you, there is a distinct possibility that you may be dead. You'll probably want to check with someone to make sure. Here, I've compiled a few simple questions to help get you started:



Alright, now that we've got the issue of being dead / alive settled it's back to the topic at hand. Throughout my life I have had a few formative experiences that have shaped my views on the subject of dance, whether that be as a participant or a spectator. These experiences have all been in the area of music, or in many cases specifically music videos.

Late 80's, artist and song unknown - I have vividly vague memories from when I was maybe four years old of watching a concert performance of some kind on television. Vivid, because I clearly recall the astounding effect that was imparted upon me. I danced along like a wild child with that man who was onstage, and I knew I was good. Nothing could stop me in my uninhibited youth. Sadly, this time was all too short as I would soon enter the Period of the Great Shyness and wouldn't dance freely for another ten plus years.

Circa 1998, Michael Jackson's Dangerous album - Growing up as a boy I didn't exactly have a lot of choice in my musical leanings. In the house or the car I simply listened to whatever was on, and that's all there was to it. In my own room I had a little more freedom, though there were still many things which were off limits. One album I did acquire that did seem to be acceptable was Dangerous, on cassette. I wasn't moved to the point of doing any actual dancing, cause gosh was I shy. But somewhere, deep down, the seed had been planted...

October 29, 2003, Core Project - Some life events leading up to this date resulted in the decline of the Period of the Great Shyness. Though it was to be followed with the Period of the Lesser Shyness, nonetheless this was an important change as I was no longer deathly terrified of all strangers. Now my fear can be managed to a reasonable level and is no longer life-threatening. Coupled with this in that same preceding time frame was an equally important Magical Musical Awakening. For the first time in my life I began to make my own, good choices about what things I would listen to. Some of my notable discovers that still have ramifications to this day were jazz, rock and hip-hop. The days of angst-fueled listening to rap and nu-metal would draw to a close, to be replaced with the smooth sounds of Tribe, the Roots and RHCP. Together, these two things created a perfect storm, and the time was ripe for something new. When I happened across the jazz/hip-hop fusion of Core Project, it was on. I can't say with certainty that this was my first concert, but it was the first time in I began to frequent shows, explore the live music scene, and borrow and incorporate the dance moves I saw. Something beautiful began to grow...

Feelin' nostalgic... Core Project - The Verbal Assault

June 3, 2007, Berlin Whale, The Bureau, So Many Dynamos, Jumbling Towers, and Say Panther - It's one thing to dance like no one is watching. It's something I've taken to heart and made my own, with great success. The thing that I find equally amusing and hard to understand is that people seem to think I look good while doing it, cause I have no clue what I'm doing. When I say "like no one is watching" I include myself in that as well. The simple trick is to flail around in a dance-related fashion, in time with the music. But, that's not what this day wass about. One this day (and it was a glorious day) I first began to grasp the the wondrous concept of dancing badly, in public, on purpose. Now you can't do this to just anything, mind you. It works best when listening to highly infectious and energetic indie rock dance party songs. All the better if you are surrounded by a crowd of excited indie rock fans who like to have fun with themselves. Even more so if it's a song with lots of weird time changes.

Berlin Whale - Igloos

2009, The Marx Brothers - After a couple friends turned me onto the old timey humor of the Marx Brothers, life became much, much funnier. Little did I know that the boys knew about more than just the standard vaudeville shenaningans. Watching A Day at the Races changed the name of the game. Vivien Fay kills it. It's the spinning she does that sets it off. Unfortunately there's almost no info out there about her, but the point has been made: ballet rocks.



2009 - I don't know for a fact that it was this video that inspired me to get off my duff and have a go at swing dancing, but let's just go ahead and say that it was. I want those moves! And I want that outfit. Maybe after I go study for ten years I'll have the skills to pull it off and challenge the master.



And I think that pretty well takes us up to today. Well, other than the latest thing which is to go to the club and start dance fights, but that's a story for another day.

No comments: