Monday, January 24, 2011

Who's gonna save your soul now?

This one time I almost ate some dude's soul.

Not that this is what I set out to do, mind you. I didn't wake up in the morning and give a quick run through of my To Do list: pay bills, do dishes, buy eggs, eat some souls. It was pretty much an accident. It's one of those situations anyone could find his or herself in. One minute you're hanging out with friends havin' a good ol' time, the next minute BAM. Some poor sucker's soul comes sweeping towards your mouth, like when you were a kid and spoons could fly like airplanes. Everything started off innocently enough. I was visiting a local watering hole to partake in some good wholesome karaoke. After a bit of cajoling from the aforementioned friends who threatened to not let me leave until I sang, and helped by enough libation to make me not be terrified at how horrible an idea singing in front of people should be, I was primed to start things off. I put on some big pink sunglasses so as to not be able to see the danger I was in, and proceeded to do my best Lenny Kravitz impersonation. Somehow the world did not seem to implode on account of my performance, though perhaps that would have been better than what happened next. The people that sang after I warmed it up weren't so terrible, I mean they were no me but they made some good picks, enough that I could get into 'em a bit and sing and dance along. And that's when it happened. One of those friends stands up at the mic and starts in with some Tenacious D. Which just so happens to blow my mind a little bit. Still new to this karaoke thing and that was a selection that had completely escaped my notice. I accompany him from across the room as he sings the greatest and best song in the world. Everything seemed to be going fine until it got to the line "plaaay the best song in the world, or I'll eat your soul". And that was when I came up behind some dude at the next table as I sang along. BIG MISTAKE. Evidently he was too surprised to get that it was just a song, cause his eyes bugged out about a mile. He abruptly stood up, left his table of friends behind, and went to go sit down with MY table of friends where apparently he thought it was safer from rabid soul eaters. I wasn't sure what to do at that point, I was worried I had broken him or something, and what do you say at a time like that? "Oops"? So I did the best thing I could come up with, which was to sit down with his friends to half apologize / half finish singing the song. Seemed like the ideal choice.

2 comments:

Justine Urbikas said...

hahaha, I just had a conversation this morning about how I am an destroyer of souls... and they just lay them down in front of me in pretty boxes... I mean, what am I supposed to do? cherish it?

Marcus said...

I suppose this explains why when we team up we are so unstoppable.