Sunday, January 09, 2011

Favourite Worst Nightmare

As an adult I like to think I've largely outgrown the effect of most bad dreams. I simply expect them to not have the same power over me as they did when I was a child, but every so often I find I'm proven wrong. And it's not that what I just dreamed about was among the more terrifying or disturbing things I've witnessed while sleeping... But it was solidly unpleasant and odd, for scene after scene. Somehow when you put it all together and look at the whole that makes it worse than any one of the pieces. Plus at the end it involved me being awake at 6:30 on a Sunday morning and it's twelve degrees outside, and that is not okay on so many levels. Did have some good news in it though. And a little bit about Jesus. Not the part about getting nailed to stuff, either, just about Jesus being Jesus, and going for a walk. At first it was historically inaccurate: Jesus and one of his boys were trying to get away from something to someplace else so they had to travel under cover of darkness. For a moment it looked like any typical walk you or I might go on, then my dream fact checker chimes in, he says "Hey, ancient Jerusalem didn't have sidewalks. Or streetlights. Come on. Keep it real." All that disappeared to be replaced with what he thought was a more factual representation, including a rocky arid landscape blanketed by almost pure darkness. And sandals. They then continued on their way, but now I was terribly concerned that they would walk right into or off a cliff (could they have even a few streetlights, for safety?), or that they would get blisters. Then there was another part about playing ultimate, or trying to. Couldn't throw or catch or even run worth a damn. That's what sitting around for weeks and eating pie will get you. I predict this will be repeated in real life in about eight weeks. And it isn't like I'm the best player ever or anything, but relatively speaking I should have been smoking people right and left. Instead I was so very mediocre. Can't say I care for that at all. Especially when the wind picked up to a strength capable of carrying off small dogs and little girls in red slippers. So not at all helpful. But then my friend got married and bought a house, and it was kind of out of the blue, but I was happy for him. That was nice.

Matt & Kim - Good Ol' Fashion Nightmare

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, love it! (Other than the unnecessary "u" in favorite, which is rubbish)

Marcus said...

Hmm... and here I was thinking to myself, "Marcus, you just wrote a post about dreams. I thought we had an agreement that you would not be That Guy."

The "u" is me making a music reference. A search for "nightmare" in my music library turned up the above song and an album title I borrowed as it aptly fit the subject matter. Anyway, what kind of person gets all uppity at British spellings and then uses the word "rubbish", answer me that.