Tuesday, August 04, 2009

No Handlebars


Official deets for the Big Lebowski Ride

Step 1 - Meet @ Pat's (6400 Oakland) at 6:30 for pre-ride food and beverages. An alternate meeting spot will be Turtle Park for anyone more inclined to hang out outside.
Step 1.1 - Be there with bells on. Come dressed as your favorite Big Lebowski character or in your best bowling wear, cause there's a prize for best costume.
Step 2 - Roll out at 7:30. Ride to the Old Post Office Plaza, with sights including the Meeting of the Waters fountain and the City Garden. On my own, I do like to do a pretty healthy pace. And I'll be honest, for me "healthy" usually is "as fast as I can, and what's all this nonsense about 'pacing yourself' actually mean, anyway?" If you cannot ride at said pace, I would suggest doing it peloton style. If you cannot ride at said pace even while drafting (and it does make a huge difference), or are too worried about crashing to ride that close, I would point out the more beer I find myself drinking, the slower I will be. All that said, I'm not planning to go nuts and I'll make sure that we don't drop anyone. Don't be scurred.
Step 3 (and this is the part I figure we'll play by ear the night of)
Option 1 (13ish miles) - Return from whence we came. Also known as the "no fun option". But hey, that's just me.

Option 2 (13ish miles) - Head over to Washington Avenue for bowling @ Flamingo. Word on the street is they have $2 White Russians and bowling games.
Option 3 - Option 3 is dead. Le sigh. And I was really looking forward to the dancing like no one is watching, too. The floor is now open to awesome suggestions for an alternate.
My first thought is Atomic Cowboy, where my boy DJ Uptown spins hip-hop and there's no cover.

Things to bring:

~Lights, head & tail

~Lock

~Sumthin comfy yet portable to sit on

~Snacks & drinks, if that's your thing (but no glass bottles)
~Helmet (this is a recommendation, but I'm nobody's daddy)
~Camera ('specially if you know where its charger is)
~Lots o' water (weather dot com says it's balls hot)

If there's anything I've forgotten, I'll come back and post it here.

----------------
Now playing: Flobots - Handlebars (DJ Shadow remix)
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Michael M. said...

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I have subscribed to your newsletter.

Marcus said...

I have ideas?!? Who knew.