Monday, March 01, 2010

New Music Monday: Here come the future girls

Hello, is this Deltron 3030? I think I've just found your soul mate. Her name is Janelle Monáe, and she's got an interesting thing going. Of course if you're not interested I could maybe call Gnarls Barkley, but I figure the two of you have more in common. I bet one day you could make beautiful robot babies.

I'm not sure I'd agree with Sean "P Did-all Puff Diddy" Combs when he says she's one of the most important signings of his career... I mean, she's certainly got something, no lie. I've also got to give the girl points each for daring, creativity and theme. But the eclectic futuristic thing has been done before, ya know? And while it was a cool concept, it didn't change the world. In any case, she released an EP a few years back called Metropolis Suite I of IV: The Chase. Her first full-length The ArchAndroid - which will cover the second and third parts of the story arc - is scheduled to come out in May. The dance party rocker and nerd comic fanboy in me are having fights about which is more excited. Furthermore although she can stand on her own, how much better will this be featuring guest spots by Saul Williams (!) and Big Boi? The future, ftw.

Deltron 3030 - 3030
Janelle Monáe - Violet Stars Happy Hunting

No comments: