Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Together we... will forever be... high fidelity, definitely, switching the melody

Just got through watching High Fidelity. This is where I was going to jabber on for a bit about mixtapes, as the whole reason I decided to watch it is I'll be participating in an impending mixtape swap. Wanted to be fully prepared this time 'round. But hell, how can a fella even remember what he was going to say? My mind is blown after watching this thing. This movie has so much that I want, so much that I need, so much that I want to be. Sure, it's nice that it's got John Cusack, still lookin' all fresh. And yeah, it's nice when a flick has a feel-good ending. That's not what gets to me, though. As someone who likes to think of himself as an appreciator of and whose world revolves around music, the depth of knowledge, the breadth of selections and the passion bamboozles my brain. Somebody get me Nick Hornby's address so I can mail him a thank you and a giant gold star for writing the book. This one has earned a place near and dear in my heart. Now excuse me while I go watch it a dozen more times. But before I go I'd like to pose a question to the universe (or anyone out there who reads this thing):

What are your all time top five favorite movies about music?

----------------
Now playing: Jurassic 5 - High Fidelity
via FoxyTunes

4 comments:

Dawn said...

5. High Fidelity
4. Blues Brothers
3. De-Lovely
2. The Pianist
1. Amadeus

Special mention: Fantasia

Marcus said...

The other day I grabbed the soundtrack, mostly cause I loved Jack Black's cover of "Let's Get It On". Tonight I finally pulled it out to listen to it in its entirety. Halfway through, this comment shows up with High Fidelity listed at #5. For a second I though you were in my house. It was weird. True story.

I think Blues Brothers is in my Netflix queue (somewhere...), but I've not heard of #s 1 - 3. Have to look em up.

Corn Doggers said...

Ha! Sorry to freak you out. You might want to pull your window shades down though ;)

Kidding.

De-Lovely is about Cole Porter's life. I just saw it recently and it's pretty darn good.

The Pianist is an amazing movie. Adrien Brody is SO good in it.

Amadeus is about the life of Mozart. This one would also be on my list of all time top 5 movies in general.

So what's your top 5 all time favorite movies about music?

Marcus said...

I have a hard time coming up with five good movies, which is why I didn't bother to put a list of my own up. Oh, if only the list of music I've seen was as well organized as my music (and it isn't, really, but at least I can find most of it). Straining my brain (and Netflix and Imdb ratings histories) to come up with something:

1. High Fidelity
2. The School of Rock
3. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
4. A Night at the Opera
5. Wild Zero

Oof. That was exhausting.