Thursday, February 11, 2010

I'm not much of one for the technology that the kids seem to go crazy over. These days it's all about the iPhones and gPhones and xPhones and zPhones, BlackBerrys and CrackBerries, the PS3s and Wiis, the texting and tweeting and twixting. Me, I prefer to do things the old fashioned way. There have been some new shiny things happening lately that are worth a little attention. Without further ado, and in ascending order of cool/useful/geekness...

#3. WolframAlpha: This could be the search engine to end all search engines. I'm not sure how handy this will be for me - I've got a feeling it could have way more information that I would ever actually need. But if I ever need to quickly slap someone with facts, this would be the place to go. With a quick test query of "Silver Spring" (for those keeping score at home, that's where I was born) this thing figured out I meant the city in Maryland. The data that shows up - on the results page, mind you - includes population, location, elevation, weather... it's completely nerdy that I'm excited by this, I know, but I am okay with that.

#2. Google Buzz: It's all anyone can talk about today. Honestly I've got mixed feelings about it, and I can see how it might get a little annoying... so far the incessant updates about posts and people I don't care about but am somehow automatically subscribed to does not thrill me. But it may prove useful. I have a Gmail window open on my browser at all times anyway, so... Let's see if this will keep me as informed of goings-on as Facebook without all the useless chatter (so, so bored with that).


#1. Cooliris: Ooooh, look at the pretty. Browsing pictures and videos has never, ever been this slick.

----------------
Now playing: Midnight Juggernauts - This New Technology
via FoxyTunes

No comments: