Monday, February 08, 2010

New Music Monday: Talkin' all that jazz

Unintentionally - for I am not supposed to be letting myself get sidetracked by new music right now, and I promised myself I'd take a little break - I find myself with some fresh finds. Here I thought I was going to do this bi-weekly and use the word "fortnight" more often. Oh well. This week, we're gonna kick it with some new oldies.

Sarah Vaughan: In the midst of a recent Amy Winehouse kick I happen to take a look at some of the similar artists listed on her last.fm page. Randomly (or subconsciously?) I clicked over to see what Sarah Vaughan is about. (Amy does count her as an influence, after all, and drops her name in at least one of her songs.) I usually have to be in just the right mood to appreciate such mellow stuff, but her voice is so soulful and sexy that I couldn't help but fall for her.

Sarah Vaughan - In a Sentimental Mood

Marva Whitney: As mentioned in my recent post about the Ghetto Funk Power Hour there was one artist on that first listen who really grabbed hold. Mr. Griptite closed out the hour with Marva Whitney. What could have been chalked up to the excitement of the moment was proven to be more that. A quick search and listen on Hype Machine showed me that she is a standout. She may not be well-known among those of the interweb generation, but DAMN sister's got soul. And she shows that she can throw down the jazz flavor as well. I'm sold.

Marva Whitney - Sunny (with James Brown)

Either of these ladies would be worth investing in a time machine so I could go back and see them at the height of their glory. Unless of course anyone has a spare laying around that I could borrow for such a purpose. I promise I'll bring it back nice and shiny.

2 comments:

Justine Urbikas said...

you know that I do that jazz thing... and lave that Sarah Vaughan

Marcus said...

I in fact did not know that, though it's hardly surprising. Jazz = classy, Justine = classy, thus Justine = jazz. I suspected it might have been Sarah Vaughan that got your attention on my facebook status. :-)