Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Ghetto Funk Power Hour

Man... soul sure is blowing up for me lately. It's takin' over my world. I like it. The other day I got a newsletter from Daptone with a blurb about the debut of the Ghetto Funk Power Hour radio show. It's hosted by Binky Griptite who rolls with one Sharon Jones, so you know he's got some soul cred. I took a little listen and, oh glory of glories, it was good. I have to admit that he doesn't strike me as the most proficient of DJs and there are some kinks there to be ironed out, but the soul was all classic. It makes me sad that I was born in the 80s, I feel like I missed out on so much. How sweet would it have been to listened to this stuff in its heyday? There was quite a lot of good and I may have to dig through again for research purposes, but there was one artist who's thoroughly grabbed my attention. More about that after I've had some time to digest her funky soul goodness and do up a proper new music post.

No comments: